Christian C
2014-05-13T11:28:33Z
Hi,

I think it's really important to know more information about the scheduler before I sign up. Could you explain to me the rules that are used to make sure every owner gets a fair go?

For example, how do the member ownership percentages affect how much time each owner gets each month? And how do the premium days come into it.

Regards,
Christian
Sponsor
To respond or post you need to Sign In or Sign Up by clicking the appropriate link on the upper right side of the page.
John D
2014-05-13T11:30:20Z
Hi Christian,

The member ownership percentages are directly related to how much time each person gets per month via the scheduler. We basically create two buckets of time - all the standard slots per month and all the premium slots per month. For each of those buckets, the member will get the amount of time equal to his ownership percentage.

At this point the system has had thousands of users so the allocation of fair percentages works well.

The scheduler also provides for swap requests (I want to trade a slot I have for a slot you have) wait lists (if you cancel your slot, i get signed up automatically), slot confirmation (you must confirm you slot in the time set or someone else can reserve it) and a host of other features.

I see you have an account in the system - so you can get in there and experiment with the scheduler settings, etc. Also, check out the expense tracker - we have just spent some time upgrading that section of the site and, while simple, it does do a good job keeping track of expenses in a sharing relationship.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Christian C
2014-05-13T15:38:22Z
Hi John,
Thank you for the quick response. That's really good information. I wanted to play with the scheduling but the system does not allow you to create a second user on the free account (which makes sense).
I just want to clarify the time allocations with an example. Say there are 6 owners, each with a 1/6 share.
So does this mean that each owner is entitled to 1/6 of the standard days and 1/6 of the premium days? Of the 30 day block?
Is there a scenario where itbwould be possible to book the boat for a whole week?
Ie. Instead of 30 day 'blocks' could you specify the calendar is divided up into 6 week blocks (so every owner is entitled to 5 standard days and 2 premium days).
Kind regards,
Christian
John D
2014-05-13T15:39:09Z
Hi Christian - regarding your first question that is exactly right. They would each get 1/6 of the standard days and 1/6 of the premium days.

We do not actually have a way to divide up the calendar as you talk about in your second question. I'm trying to get my head around how the would look functionally on the site - it presents some interesting ideas though. I'll put that one the agenda for the next dev meeting to talk through and get back to you about the possibility of us adding that functionality.

From a user actually booking an entire week standpoint on the current site, it is possible to book multiple reservations at one time by using the date drop downs at the top of the dialog that comes up when you are booking a reservation on the scheduler. Just choose the beginning and ending dates there and the system will book all the slots in between.

Best,

John Davis
Christian C
2014-06-29T13:48:26Z
Hi John,

Thank you for considering this. I really think it'll be a good feature to have. It would especially benefit boat share syndicates with a lot of owners.

For example, a boat share with 10 owners is likely to have owners who want to take their boat out for more than 3 days at a time.

I hope this wasn't too presumptuous of me but I took the time to build Mock Screens as to how I think it could look.

See attached.
John D
2014-06-29T13:51:07Z
Actually that's great Christian - I'll have a look at the screens and get back to you.

Best,

John Davis
John D
2014-06-29T13:51:21Z
Hi Christian - we just released some updates to the scheduler - not specifically what you were describing but please have a look and see if we are getting closer to what you need.

Details of the changes can be found at https://www.nauticalmonk...hanges-and-enhancements/  for details and let me know if you run into any problems.

John Davis
Christian C
2014-06-29T13:52:18Z
Hi John,

These changes are really good! You guys have been busy.

I think the way that you've set it up is actually better than what I suggested in my screenshots.

My only comment is that the new setting that limits the schedule is 'overruled' by the share percentages.

IE, my selection below states that I want to limit the users to be able to book 1 week in every 6 week period (as I have 6 owners in this example).

I would have hoped that I can book 5 working days and 2 weekend days as a 16.67% owner, however as far as I can tell there is no adjustment in the time allocations past the share percentages in a 1 month period.

As such it seems to me that this new feature can only be used as a subset of the 1 month period.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Love your work.

Kind regards,
Christian
John D
2014-06-29T13:56:47Z
Hi Christian - I haven't tested this but it may be a solution to the last issue you brought up - Near the bottom of the page is a checkbox with the caption "Allow members to use unused slots from the previous month and borrow slots from the next month."

Again I haven't tested it but this in combination with the user limit functions might give you just what you're looking for - albeit by accident :)

If you have a chance, have a look and let me know.

Best,

John Davis